Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by Draven »

that looks proper, i like that :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks guys - it's really quick and easy to do.

Pop off the clock face with a flathead. Pop off the clock lense with flathead.

Sit the new acrylic in place. Put back together!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

To complete the Bryson trio I fitted the speedo upgrade bulbs tonight. Before I can't believe these were even legal at sale as I've always struggled to see the speedo at night. Now they are much better!

Before:

After:

As always, perfect from Alan.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So this turned up yesterday....

A nice little present from Paul Woods. I contacted Paul looking for some guidance and we came onto the topic that I was looking for a Rev 5 NA block. As I am currently running a rev 2 turbo block (rev 3 cylinder head etc) I've reduced the 2/3 cylinder wall crack, but one day...maybe....maybe the block will crack at the water pump.

So cue a post 97 block from Pauls personal Rev 5! Notice the square edge around the water pump. Something they also fixed in the latter 5s blocks too. Although it doesn't make it bombproof....it should be another step closer to being the strongest it can be. I've seen some pepole running high power long term and Rogue (who build with these now) have not had 1 failure yet.

So why am I stashing a spare block? Well. ... next summer I'm thinking gtx3582r 2nd gen

:mrgreen:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

good stuff with the rev 5 na block. Im so glad I chose mine over the rev 3 turbo one.

Its a bit more work, but worth it

If you need help/info with regards to drilling it, or making up the oil cooler coolant lines, let us know.

also the oil cooler is smaller than a turbo one, so youll need to run an external oil cooler
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Which bulbs did you use for the speedo cluster?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Ones from Alan Brysons kit - AlanMr2Turbo or something on here.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Dale_V wrote:good stuff with the rev 5 na block. Im so glad I chose mine over the rev 3 turbo one.

Its a bit more work, but worth it

If you need help/info with regards to drilling it, or making up the oil cooler coolant lines, let us know.

also the oil cooler is smaller than a turbo one, so youll need to run an external oil cooler

Thanks a lot Dale. Given the whole casting process was better overall after '96 hopefully it MAY help. Tempted to get it ultra sonic tested to see the structure of the block for interest.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So now I've replaced the suspension struts, springs, drop links and front lower ball joints I've noticed for a long time (long time low mileage :lol: ) that my steering is just naff. Upon inspection I actually found that one of the rear struts was dead on the old bilstein setup so needed replacing anyway.

So today I got it done on the hunter system. WOW what a transformation! Steering wheel now straight, and driving tight and true. Can't believe what a difference it's made. Best £105 ever spent.

Here's the before and after:

Now I've got the handling exactly how I want it, just the oomph to go!

Car goes in for rear main seal next week.
craig

Post by craig »

Nice one mate. This is something on my list to do, bet it'll make a huge difference!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Ah yeah man, it's quote expensive but the check is free at least.

It's nice having the steering wheel straight :lol:
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

A good alignment always makes a huge difference!

Why is the Right front camber so far out though? I thought you had adjustable top mounts on your BC's?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Because they only touched toe

They clearly didn't touch camber. I have to say that is a lot of money just for a toe adjustment.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I just have Bilstein shocks & Apex springs, not coilies.

Camber still in green though?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Most places won't touch camber unless you specifically ask, even then their machine / reference manuals will say you cannot adjust camber on a stock MR2 which is kinda true - there is some movement when you unbolt the strut to hub bolts which allows for ~1 degree of adjustment. You can of course install camber bolts here to give more / easier to set with some precision.

I'd want the camber across the front to be more even personally, though the difference isn't going to be huge from a driving perspective really.

Agree with Jim, £100+ for toe only is on the expensive side.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah the likes of ATS & KwikSh!t are £37 a side... but last week I had an idiot hanging off a spanner at an angle basically bouncing it to get it free.

I requested the car back and took it somewhere else who did it flawlessly.... so i dont mind :)
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Sorry, only looked quickly but assumed that for over £100 they'd adjusted your camber too...

You might not notice it on the road, but if I was paying that I'd want it right / even at least. It's green because it's within the tolerances, so they're not misleading you AKAIK.

I also though you had coilovers :oops:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Just another small update, fresh new MOT, no advisories!

The inspector did just notice a missing bolt on the rear engine brace / cross member :roll: so new one put back in.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So next update�..

At last I had saved up enough money to have the rear main seal done properly at Predator Performance. Although I could have had this done by SBITS on warranty, quite frankly I�m glad I didn�t.

As you can see, oil seal not sat correctly, not only that but the crank end hadn�t been cleaned either. Good practice is to whip over and clean up to make sure all elements are clean and tight.

Until now I�ve been quite reserved with what I�ve said about the SBITS build � but in summary I�m f**king appalled. This just shows another element of incompetence. Sorry Pete � but some of your work is just dead sloppy. A poorly seated seal, OK at a push can be forgiven. Not bothering to clean little bits up just shows a careless or rushed job.

Pete said he's built 150 forged engines � were they all put back together this badly?

Thankfully this is the last of the fixes so at last the build should be perfect.

Last edited by androo007 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Glad to see you getting the car sorted mate.

Sorry Pete – but some of your work is just dead sloppy. A poorly seated seal, OK at a push can be forgiven. Not bothering to clean little bits up just shows a careless or rushed job.

Unfortunately I think Pete had so much on and so many cars on the go that a few of them got rushed. Mine is the same with wiring shoved up behind the dash and bits and bobs not finished and needing another trip up the M1 to go and have it rectified. In the end I have opted to just start going to Rogue as they do the job whilst you wait and don`t keep having to go back and have unfinished bits and bobs sorted. I just got fed up of waiting for a completed car which never happened. He is knowledgeable and a decent bloke generally but I do not have the time to go about business with him anymore, I just got too frustrated with it.

Return to “Member Profiles”