[Mk2] [Generic] H&R -20mm lowering springs - they drop a lot lower than 20mm?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] H&R -20mm lowering springs - they drop a lot lower than 20mm?

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah I fitted new yellow Bilsteins and changed the springs so figure -20mm would be about the same as sagging 22yo OEM springs. IIRC Rev3 is lower as stock than previous so -20mm for a rev1 would be almost rev3 height? Had yellow Bilsteins on before with stock springs worked fine and looked ok.

I've been running the 8/9 et35 combo for many years with same sized tyres and not had issues. Obv with the spring change this time round the cars attitude is completely different and apart from rubbing it looks utter crap. I couldn't fit coilovers because i do run the 8 inch front rim and that stuff's the clearance to the spring. It's also a daily driver so coilovers are too harsh for that and tbh i'd worry about the length of time they'd survive. Clearly though, raising the height would be a doddle but lowering springs should at least be level but from what folks are saying on here that is not the case at all :(

Also noticed the rear isn't level across the axle with the drivers side lower than the passenger side. FFS!
Last edited by raptor95GTS on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbmr2

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] H&R -20mm lowering springs - they drop a lot lower than 20mm?

Post by pbmr2 »

I'm in the same boat. Got brand new Koni inserts and -20mm H&R springs back end of last year and fitted them over christmas. The rear droped much more than the front. The front did go down but not as much as the rears.

Now mine doesn't look as saggy as the OP's pictures (sorry on the other page can't remember name) but it's the same issue.

I'm only running 16" 7j front 8j rear so no rubbing and there is still a gap to the arch even over bumps.
From a handling point of view the rear is perfect, very comliant and no bouncing all over he place. However the front bobs up and down at certain times normally when going slower speeds.

Played with the damper settings and stiffer at the front does indeed make it turn in much better but adds to the jumpy front end. turn it right down and the bouncy front stops but the front end feels vague.

I think the core of the problem is the front springs are too high a spring rate. The rears seem perfect handling wise but the front isn't happy.
These are sposed to be matched to the Koni dampers but it doesn't seem to be an amazing setup. Dampers seem good just the H&R front springs are too stiff.

Thinking about getting some custom front springs made to cure the problem.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i've been emailing H&R in Germany and they are saying they've never had this problem so want me to give them spring heights both theirs and my old ones plus the height when fitted from the middle of the wheel to the lower edge of the lip. Going to have to find my old springs and possibly re fit them to get measurements as I never did the old ones before getting them changed :(

I measured the heights of the new ones fitted (middle of wheel to arch) and they're all over the place! Anyone else have heights to compare with (-20mm H&R)
rear drivers 25cm <only one that rubs
rear passenger 25.5cm
front passenger 26.5cm
front drivers 26cm

Allan
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Mine's on stands so can't help with the current gap. But do have my old springs to hand if you need me to measure them.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

that would be great thanks, I should be getting my hands on my springs soon so would be good to see how they stack up :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”