[Mk2] [Turbo] Looks To Nice I need some help

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev2rich

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Looks To Nice I need some help

Post by rev2rich »

As far as I have read all the blocks Crack from rev1 to 5s

From what I have read a lot of people say it has something to do with cooling and it is a thermal shock when the thermostat opens it pushes cold water towards the water pump and this were the crack appear..

It is pot luck when they were casting.. A 5s block would be great but would make me change my hole build as I have a rev2 head ( no idea if it fits on a 5s )

I want to build a bullet proof block.. so thinking open deck sleeves as this will disperse the cool water quicker and completely removing the thermostat so the shock of the cold coolant would not affect the block...

I have a rev2 block that I know the history of and with it on a engine stand would allow more access to add more material to the weak area..

This is my thinking but would love to hear other peoples thoughts :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

If you want bulletproof afraid the only direction is late 5S.

The cheapest way I think is to get a block over from ATS. If you want i'll get one with you, and we can halves on shipping / come to an arrangement.

Your head will be fine
ashley

Post by ashley »

xx
Last edited by ashley on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

It happens .... I will look into a 5S now and see what is about.. any thing else would have to be changes or do all the parts marry up as in water pump ect

cheers :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Pete told me that ATS sell bare blocks for $400 plus shipping. Lots of changes I think.... Ashley can advise having been there done that
ashley

Post by ashley »

xx
Last edited by ashley on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

rev2rich wrote:It is currently running 400whp

Meant to ask Rich - is that 400whp = ~500 crank hp? or 400hp?
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

400 at the wheels @1.6bar :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Oh wow nice! Do you have a dyno? What turbo are you running ?

Seems that 500 crank really is the limit of the 3s block. I assume through no welding you can't repair that area to make it stronger than stock even for another 10k use?

I know what I'm typing sounds dumb but once it's cracked the stress is relieved. Could you weld up the leak and keep going? Is there anything else to crack further? It seems the crack is always on the edge...so like if you did seal it up and strengthen somehow, could that actually hold for a reasonable time? It's not like an internal cylinder wall crack.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

wow nice! Do you have a dyno? What turbo are you running ?

Seems that 500 crank really is the limit of the 3s block. I assume through no welding you can't repair that area to make it stronger than stock even for another 10k use?

I know what I'm typing sounds dumb but once it's cracked the stress is relieved. Could you weld up the leak and keep going? Is there anything else to crack further? It seems the crack is always on the edge...so like if you did seal it up and strengthen somehow, could that actually hold for a reasonable time? It's not like an internal cylinder wall crack.

I don't have the 1.6 bar Graph but I have the 1.4 and the data sheet this is were we found that the waste gate and b.o.v were restricting the turbo

I have spoken to industrial metal epoxy company Belzona and waiting on their technical team to get back to me! But I will be doing a 5s build straight away as this is only a temp solution

http://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1511.aspx

Cheers Rich
ashley

Post by ashley »

xx
Last edited by ashley on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I am using a EFR turbo so the B.O.V is apart of the turbo and the part that feeds turbo is small and restricts the air and sends some pressure back thou the system... The actuator/ Watergate / boost controller (same unit ) would not allow the boost to get over 1.4bar New one allows 2bar.. :thumleft: :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

maybe the WG spring was too weak and the boost controller is struggling to control, and/or the BOV is leaking.

anyway..

we use the exact same belzona stuff at work (harsh marine engineering environment) and it is very good.. but not the right stuff for this situation imho.. the block is cracked, to repair it properly the crack would need to be ground out, welded, pre and post heated and then you'd need to at the very least check the deck for warpage. at that point you may as well re-block your engine.

preparing the block in situ and applying the epoxy over the crack will more than likely stop the leak and get you though this year, if you the wanted to attack it over winter, but its definitely not a permanent solution.

if you do go 5s and cost is offputting it may be worth keeping the 3s crank, that way you could sell the 2.2 crank, and don't need to go to the expense of new rods or getting the 5s crank ground..
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

maybe the WG spring was too weak and the boost controller is struggling to control, and/or the BOV is leaking

That run the waste gate / actuator was wide open just very restrictive so turbo smart do a direct replacement to solve this :thumleft:
we use the exact same belzona stuff at work (harsh marine engineering environment) and it is very good.. but not the right stuff for this situation imho.. the block is cracked, to repair it properly the crack would need to be ground out, welded, pre and post heated and then you'd need to at the very least check the deck for warpage. at that point you may as well re-block your engine.

preparing the block in situ and applying the epoxy over the crack will more than likely stop the leak and get you though this year, if you the wanted to attack it over winter, but its definitely not a permanent solution.

I am only using it for a while as it is a 15mm crack I moving the car to body shop and getting it ready for the 5s block and My brake set up and rebuilt ABS hubs to allow me to use traction control / anti lag /launch control.. still so much left to do

I think I will go down the 2.2 road so my turbo can come in sooner but the ££ will see what I do :thumleft: :thumleft: ](*,)
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Gutted for you mate, I've been there and it's rough! What pistons were you running ?
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Back on the block topic, late 3SGTE and 3SGE blocks are totally different around the water pump area, significantly thickened, same as the later 5s's are.

I have an NA block in the garage with photos to demonstrate this. I think it was a rev4 block but honestly can't remember now, certainly was post rev3.
They are easy to spot though just look at the deck and you can see a big squared off area around the water pump rather than following the contour of the cylinder.

Real shame that it's gone so early after all that work. I'm in the same boat as you with a rev2 block, hoping not to have the same misfortune!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Danbob wrote:Back on the block topic, late 3SGTE and 3SGE blocks are totally different around the water pump area, significantly thickened, same as the later 5s's are.

I have an NA block in the garage with photos to demonstrate this. I think it was a rev4 block but honestly can't remember now, certainly was post rev3.
They are easy to spot though just look at the deck and you can see a big squared off area around the water pump rather than following the contour of the cylinder.

Real shame that it's gone so early after all that work. I'm in the same boat as you with a rev2 block, hoping not to have the same misfortune!

I'm currently running a 3SGE NA block and you're right they do have distinct differences. :thumleft:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Managed to get a late 5s block 1998 should be delivered next week :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

WHO WHAT WHERE? Jammy sod
ashley

Post by ashley »

xx
Last edited by ashley on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modifications”