Loose streering

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Loose streering

Post by Lauren »

Tiamat wrote:
I love my Toyos they were brilliant on the MK1, kept grip and provided plenty of feedback. they may have not been suitable for your DC2 but that is an entirely different vehicle to be honest, so the comparison is hardly fair.

The other thing to remember tyres are like suspension and wheel choice, its what suits the individual driver. This is why we have different tyres, what works for one person's preferred driving style works differently for someone else. Otherwise we would all have the same tyres and not have options.

I honestly think most people would admit nowadays that Toyo T1R's are really no good at all, but they are cheap and really that's what matters to most. For a mid range budget tyre they are actually pretty good, but these things are relative when you compare to a premium tyre.

Certainly there are a lot of people for example who like tons of grip, so they don't get over the limit and feel safe. I get that and I get that people want different things from tyres. It's the same issue with Eagle F1s, we all raved about them but that was 15 years ago and then we took them on track and well, we didn't rave about them anymore.

In a similar vein, all those in my class in the sprint championship favour Yoko Advan V105's as over the years we've worked out they are best compromise for a 1A tyre for sprinting, so everyone runs them now, despite trying all the other options, it seems to be the best bet. It's a shame you can't get tyres like these in MR2 sizes.

Yes the DC2 is a much sharper handling car than an MR2 and I would say you would notice a tyre change more. I think the trouble is tyre technology has moved on significantly since 2002. The real problem though is a lack of choice of decent tyres in 14" and 15" sizes these days. I stuck Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my AE86. Premium tyre, but far too grippy for the chassis as it turned out.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Just ordered 2x advan ad08rs and 2x advan fleva v701s
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Just ordered 2x advan ad08rs and 2x advan fleva v701s

Why mix tyres? The Fleva's won't have the grip of the AD08R's.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Lauren wrote:In a similar vein, all those in my class in the sprint championship favour Yoko Advan V105's as over the years we've worked out they are best compromise for a 1A tyre for sprinting, so everyone runs them now, despite trying all the other options, it seems to be the best bet. It's a shame you can't get tyres like these in MR2 sizes.

That last bit is proving a huge problem for me. I've been sticking to standard alloys and now it's new tyre time and I can't find anything decent for the MR2 - just lots of all-season or winter tyres, or long lasting - nothing that seems well suited for a car like the Mk1...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Yep. 15" is bad enough but 14" is even worse. Just a total lack of choice really. But these are now very small wheels and not many new cars run wheels this size anymore.

You sort of wonder will there become a point where wheels stop getting bigger?

Even the 17's on my GT86 are now considered small wheels with the average size around 18" now.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Quite! I was speccing up a new Jag F-Pace the other day on their online configurator (though the F-type keeps calling!) and their wheels start at 19"! (F-type starts from 20!!)
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

ita a big problem with modern 4x4's too. excellent 4wd systems absolutley crippled by the fact you cant get decent offroad tyres for them because the wheels are too big...

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”