Gareth's 1999 Sonic Shadow Revision 5

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Gareth's 1999 Sonic Shadow Revision 5

Post by SonicSW20 »

thomp1983 wrote:Gaz before commencing work check the condition of the fuel line from the tank to the bottom of the fuel filter a few of these are starting to fail Mots for corrosion it'll be alot easier to fix with your engine out so I'd check it now and order the parts ready if it does look ropey

Tank will be coming out to replace the fuel pump so all that kind of thing will be checked :thumleft:

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:You might want to apply a little heat to the ABS rings when trying to remove them (As long as they are metal lol)

I *think* they are metal, probably aluminium. Heat / lube and go easy with the prying devices it should come off OK! :thumleft:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

the pipe from the tank to fuel filter is virtually impossible to separate at the tank union so most cut the hard line and use aeromotive fittings to make a new line to the filter.

you would probably need to order them in advance of the job so i wouldn't wait till the engines out if your planning to fit it all in one go.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Fair point. They were OK a year ago when we did the clutch and cambelt but we didn't really check in much detail.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That engine looks awesome, top work :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:

Left it with the sump now back in place, just need to clean up the lower sump pan and install that. Hopefully it didn't have about 3 tubes of RTV on it previously because that's the only way it would seal :laughing

As I don't think I posted about this... Turns out that was the case. Damn thing was properly bent, the bent part sat a good 4mm proud of the surface :roll:

All sorted now thanks to Cliff (irietuning) :thumleft:

Other work not documented - had to drill and rethread 5 of the exhaust manifold studs. Not a job I want to do again!

This was not nice to see -

Whoever installed the turbo used RTV (noticing a pattern here?) instead of the proper gasket. Cleaned up and reinstalled with the proper gasket now. Did the blanking plate on the other side too.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Gazza_DJ wrote:

Whoever installed the turbo used RTV (noticing a pattern here?) instead of the proper gasket. Cleaned up and reinstalled with the proper gasket now. Did the blanking plate on the other side too.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Magic Beans wrote:That engine looks awesome, top work :thumleft:

Thanks, lets hope it goes as well as it looks :lol:

Few more bits ordered from Toyota, few gaskets that don't come with the engine overhaul kit - water outlet o ring, oil dipstick o ring, turbo oil return to sump gasket, oil pressure regulator gasket.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Does anyone have a reference diagram for the cooling / vac / air hoses? I have the Stoney kit but I'm not completely sure where everything goes!

Bit more done on it -

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

No further on the engine annoyingly, nothing worth talking about anyway.

It's been a tough month for T189PND, it's been battered by the poorly maintained local road network and then thrown its toys out of the pram.

First, I had to rob the thermostat from the turbo engine to fit to mine as it was stuck open -

Next up, rear left puncture. Annoying as it wasn't that long ago I had to replace the other side due to pothole damage. The other side still had a good 6mm left on it and I don't like having mismatched tyres across an axle so I had to source another Ultrac Sessanta which has now been discontinued. Remaining stock is a little more expensive than it was! Managed to find one with a manufacture date of mid 2016 so all good for now.

I have a proper spare too -

Then only a week or so later as it just never ends, disaster struck again -

So that wasn't fun.

Fortunately I was most of the way to work anyway so let it cool off a bit and limped it to work rather than leave it where it was and later fight the PCN I would have no doubt have gotten while waiting for recovery! Got a bit hot but didn't overheat.

Mr. AA man arrived, and we did the 'we've got to try and put it on the back of the van' dance, but it just wasn't going to happen. Front wheels on the ground meant the splitter was scraping the floor, rear wheels on the ground (which I didn't really want them to do anyway) wasn't going to happen either -

So a proper truck was called -

And we're on the way to the driveway.

New radiator is a Japspeed item that lots of people seem to resell under various names -

And I wouldn't recommend it. Fitment to the car is fine, but the stock fan simply doesn't fit without modification, and once the radiator pipes were on I could no longer open the top bleed screw!

Also don't recommend the Stoney radiator pipes. Fitment isn't great, and I had to do the jubilee clips ridiculously tight to get them to seal up properly. Should have just got new stock ones, but needed them short notice so didn't have much choice. Lesson learnt!

There's still some drips under the car but they're coming from the undertrays near the front ARB and further back. It seems unlikely that the hard pipes around the fuel tank went at the same time, and when one of the Stoney radiator pipes was leaking I didn't notice at first as it was travelling along the hard line and accumulating in the frunk, and then onto the undertrays. So now I need to remove the undertrays and check I've not been super unlucky and had one of the under body coolant lines fail as well. There were no leaks at all prior to the radiator leak so it's unlikely. Got to check though!
craig

Post by craig »

Rough times bud. I too wouldn't recommend either the Japspeed radiator for the same reasons.

I also had it coupled with those Stoney Racing radiator pipes. I don't rate them either. They're not the right length and don't fit properly.

Now rocking a new Toyota radiator and radiator pipes. As expected - no issues.

Onwards and upwards mate, soon be turbo time!! :mrgreen:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I am a little concerned now considering I fitted the full Stoney kit to the turbo engine. Hopefully they're better than the rad pipes!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

What spray paint did you use on the heat shield over the manifold mate?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Gee Man wrote:What spray paint did you use on the heat shield over the manifold mate?

Just some Simoniz VHT matt black. Not sure how well it will come out as it still needs to go through a heat cycle!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Home stretch now... hopefully!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

So close:

we are now at troubleshooting stage.

Remaining issues:

Mongoose exhaust flexi has more leaks than I can count. Sounds horrific, must have got damaged in transit unfortunately.

Misfire / running issue. Most likely an ignition component. Just got to work through to find it.

Coolant leak - seems to be coming from thermostat area. Hopefully it's just the thermostat housing / gasket not quite sealing up right and not the waterpump / bypass pipes that are right by it. Hard to tell due to access, can't get eyeballs on it proper!

That was the situation at 7PM yesterday. So frustrating to be that close!

Had a few other issues too, like bent caliper carrier mounts on the hub. Never seen that before.

They don't show all these issues with engine conversions on old cars on YouTube do they? :lol:
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Looks great tho'
You won't be disappointed!
I'm still loving mine after several years - whoosh/tiss all the way!
As you know sonic turbos rock!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I assume you did a compression test before fitting?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yes, I did. Problem turned out to be leads!

Coolant leak fixed.

Clamp in flexi section fitted for now, long term I'll be getting my fujitsubo back to turbo spec.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

good work mate looks great, all up and running now?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, it's working!

https://streamable.com/na86f

https://streamable.com/a4pry

Late last night about 1/2 mile from home one of the gear cable retaining clips went walkies... No idea where it went. Had no gears. Manually put it into 3rd by hand and got it home. Got it 'secured' with cable ties for now. Need to go pick up a replacement clip!

Return to “Member Profiles”