The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Draven »

:tumbleweed:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Soon :wink:

Just finalising the details, after which it's ramble typing time! It's definitely happening though. Which up until yesterday was still up in the air.
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ok then, words writing time! I wanted to leave this until things were agreed and plans in place before saying too much, in case it fell through for whatever reason. As of today everything is now agreed, so it's time to get this thing rolling :D

Current status:

Right now there's a bone stock Rev 5 NA T Bar sat on my drive, that's been patiently sat under a car cover waiting for me to decide what to do with it.. For a while that was it being rehomed, mostly due to a lack of interest in doing any with it. Thankfully that phase has now passed and after considering V6 conversions, then V6 turbo, then a host of other cars and conversions, I finally made my mind up! :lol: I have a renewed enthusiasm, along with a clear direction of what my aims are for the car. Both short term and long(er) term :)

I've recently purchased a Rev 2 NA that has had a Rev 3+ turbo conversion, with forged internals and a hybrid turbo. I'm in the process of having it collected and transported (just been confirmed to be Monday :D) down to Zombie HQ (Pistol Pete's place), where Pete has kindly offered to do the transplantation (amongst other things) :D The car also has a selection of other bits on it that go perfectly with my plans for the Rev 5. I'll cover the bits later, once the car is in our hands.

The plans:

If you cast your memories all the way back to Mule 1 you'll remember what ultimately happened to it *sad face*, which then started the wheels in motion for what came next (Mule II). The car Mule II became was never really in keeping with what I had in mind when I first started this journey. Especially before I was drawn into the pursuit for more power... What I originally wanted, way back when I first looked at MR2s, was a Rev 5 turbo, T bar, which was modded to essentially refresh and update the original car. That's what this car will be, a kind of Mule I redux .

A high level list of my requirements for Mule VI looks something like this:

* Rev 5 turbo
* T bar
* A solid, safe and reliable 300bhp - The donor car's engine is forged and has been tuned by 2Bar to ~300bhp
* OEM+ styling - I have some ideas surrounding this :wink:
* Fully sorted chassis - Bracing, coilovers, full geo. I also have some ideas for some extra twists to be done here.
* Fully restored bodywork - Respray, undersealed, POR15 on all relevant chassis parts. It will be clean, very clean, as you've probably come to expect.. :whistle:

The next steps:

Again, this is high level, but it's basically the following:

* Have the donor car shipped to Pete
* Remove the parts required
* Clean/test/prep everything that comes off - Currently Rev3 turbo full clip, Tein coilovers, underbody bracing, exhaust (which we think is a Mongoose), uprated brakes (TBC), etc etc etc.
* Treat the little bits of rust on the Rev 5. There's small patches of surface rust in places, nothing major. I may sort these myself, as the car will ultimately be resprayed in the future anyway. I just want to ensure anything that's there is prevented from getting worse.
* Take the Rev 5 to Pete. Strip, check, prep (underseal, POR15 etc) all chassis components, replacing anything that needs replacing
* Decide what to do with the wheels?! I personally love the stock Rev 5 wheels and would love to get them refurbished in painted Ferric Grey (to match my new BM). My main concern is that they sit too far into the arches, but I'm not sure what can be done about that, other than spacers? Failing that it's a matter of finding some different wheels, but I've yet to find anything I want.
* Once the car is built and tested send it off to get the bodywork sorted. Which will be a full respray, probably in white.

I guess that's it for now. It's going to be a busy few months, for quite a few reasons! Excited to see the results though!
craig

Post by craig »

Plans sound great mate. Tuned into this one. Looking forward to the next instalment :D
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Also tuned in!

Was half expecting you to come out with some crazy turbo'd K20 plan.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Gonna be ready for JAE (2017)?

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

JAAASH wrote:Also tuned in!

Was half expecting you to come out with some crazy turbo'd K20 plan.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Gonna be ready for JAE (2017)?

Hmm under promise.. over deliver.. jae 2019 :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Hell, if we bu88er about long enough we could do AGE 2029 :lol:

I did consider all manner of different ideas for this car, and some even more interesting stuff for some other builds. One of which I think we'll do in the future :wink: Ultimately this makes sense right now. Gives me some closure on the loose end that was Mule I.

The really messy stuff will come when the drag car build starts. But before that the house build really needs to take place, so we have that much needed extra garage space. Ideally that will be a triple sized garage, with space to have a couple of cars, a lift and room for a proper workshop.
JD

Post by JD »

How about a 2AZ-FE turbo? There's a guy in the states building one right now and it looks great. Much better and lighter than a 3S and plenty of aftermarket support already (the good ones come from a Scion tC). Don't accidentally buy one of those Atkinson cycle versions from an Avensis, though. That won't work at all.

If I remember the name of the guy's instagram account I will post it. His build is steaming ahead.

Negativity from the usual blinkered people? Doing it "wrong"? Come at me!

What about it, Phil?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Just been reading up on it. Always impressed when people go off and mix it up a bit.

It would be a fair extra chunk of work to achieve the modest power I'm looking for. I think I'd go V6 turbo if I were to have anything different in it. Something like iecku has built =P~

In other news: The Rev 3 engine I had convinced myself was in the donor car, is actually a Rev 2 turbo. Then converted to use the Rev 3+ ECU, injectors, loom etc etc. Schoolboy error for letting it slip my mind #-o It's not a massive dramas, I'd just always had in my head it would be the later spec engine.
ads

Post by ads »

following Phil. always enjoy your builds
JD

Post by JD »

Magic Beans wrote:Just been reading up on it. Always impressed when people go off and mix it up a bit.

It would be a fair extra chunk of work to achieve the modest power I'm looking for. I think I'd go V6 turbo if I were to have anything different in it. Something like iecku has built =P~

Fair dos. I do wonder if the big power bug will bite with this one at some point, though :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ads wrote:following Phil. always enjoy your builds

Thanks, Adam. Good to see you're still around on here :)

JD wrote:Fair dos. I do wonder if the big power bug will bite with this one at some point, though :)

If it does the ointment will be a V8 and one or two turbos. I don't think even Mr Woods would be mad enough to try and squeeze that in a Mk2, so it'll be a whole new project car to work on. Something terrifying! :o
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've spent some time looking over the car this weekend, to get a feel for the current state of the nation. Mechanically it's pretty happy, it's the bodywork that's bothering me right now.

As I want this thread to be a warts and all log of each car's journey, along with the good (and dumb) things done along the way, I grabbed some shots of the rust spots I've found. They've all been treated with Kurust and the metal underneath is solid, so it's mainly surface rust. I do want to get it all sorted asap though, before it gets any worse. Assuming it's not too terrible right now??

NS rear arch:

NS sill rear edge:

NS sill:

NS front arch:

T bar rear:

T bar rear:

T bar front OS edge:

T bar front:

OS rear arch:

OS sill rear edge:

OS lower sill, in between the door and the rear arch:

OS sill:

OS door:

OS door, inside lower edge (Mule II anyone?! #-o ):

The wheels are in desperate need of a refurb. It's mainly just the paint that's the issue, but they look ratty as hell :lol:

To contrast, here's the wheels on the new work motor! =P~ It's also the colour (Ferric Grey) I'm thinking about doing the Rev 5 wheels when they get refurbished:

And a few more shots, just because I absolutely love this thing and haven't actually taken any photos yet!

Interested to get people's thoughts on the rot. Should I be worried and expecting huge bills to repair it, or is it a sand/treat/paint and forget type scenario?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Get the read bumper off.... I suspect you'll find more.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

androo007 wrote:Get the read bumper off.... I suspect you'll find more.

This isn't the "Don't worry, Phil, it will be absolutely fine" kind of reply I was hoping for :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Get ready for snapped bolts! :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
ads

Post by ads »

inside sills at rear Phil !
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ben wrote:Get ready for snapped bolts! :lol:

Thankfully we'll have a spare car. For them to also snap off...! :lol:

ads wrote:inside sills at rear Phil !

Checked and confirmed as in good shape, thankfully! 8-[

The transporter that's due to move the car has yet to get in touch, after accepting the quote on Friday... :|
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Scratch that, being collected and delivered today! :D

Return to “Member Profiles”