[Mk2] [Generic] Power steering light constantly on, but P/S working

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GreddyMR2

[Mk2] [Generic] Power steering light constantly on, but P/S working

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Hi,

I have a strange problem and wondering if someone had it before and could help me.

So after swapping all the parts to a new shell, I see power steering light constantly on in a dash. But the power steering is working.
I have started a car for a first time without P/S fluid and thought light will gone as soon as I fill the system.
After filling system with fluid, the light is still on. I filled with a universal fluid as haven't any fluid for electrical P/S near me and needed to drive a car, but I don't think the system could feel what fluid is in :)

Tried to reset an ECU, but it didn't help. Also, there are no error codes in the system.

And maybe it's worth to note that ignition is on, light switches off after a couple of seconds, but when I start the engine, light is on after a couple of seconds.

It's really annoying...
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Power steering light constantly on, but P/S working

Post by SonicSW20 »

PS codes are cleared when you turn the ignition off - http://imgur.com/a/Yjtwv - with that in mind, are you checking the codes correctly?

The only code that will allow the PS to continue operating is 31, which is worn brushes.

Other than that, it would be wise to go through and check your wiring, grounds etc.
GreddyMR2

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Power steering light constantly on, but P/S working

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Thanks for a tip, I will have to diagnose accordingly. I was just checking codes by connecting E1 and TE1 terminals.

I think it's not worn brushes as the car was my friend's before and P/S was working fine and light was not flashing.

I'll have to check the wiring, but looks like everything is connected well.

Return to “Electrical”