The Mule

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: The Mule

Post by Martin F »

Gullzter wrote:Looking forward to seeing the printout, was it HQ you went to Martin?
Cars looking great :thumleft:

Yeah dude, I have always used Russell to map my cars, he's been in the game for over 20 years now and likes to keep things safe, he did however gap the plugs to 0.6mm for the higher boost. Not sure if that was a good move or not...

They have a brand new dyno in there now, it's not as relaxed as it used to be, ie. last year I got stuck in to stuff needing done while he was tying the car down, now you are not allowed near the car, they do any work required and have a special booth you have to sit in during dyno work, it very much ruined my experience but at least I don't have to go back....

Even working out how to open the engine lid cost me about a tenner, I was watching them try from the reception but unable to explain how to do it as I wasn't allowed to go through....

Pretty sure they are booked up until the end of may now so get your booking done in plenty of time if that's where you are going....
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Martin F wrote:
Ryan S wrote:That awesome Martin. Really chuffed for you! :thumleft:

I'll be at Crail over the summer with the bike so let me know if you're there :)

I'm quite chuffed too, it was getting expensive so to have that out of the way is Great :thumleft:

How's progress going with your car ?

Same old story really! To be honest the only big jobs are fabbing up the downpipe and boost pipes. I could have it done in a night if i got the finger out :( Been too busy with the bikes just now. I'll get there, I'll find a sudden dose of motivation and it'll be on the road before I even realise!
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

That sounds a bit rubbish, true in saying that at least it's done now, is it more of a safety thing for customers?
I dropped him a PM on Facebook yesterday but haven't heard back yet so will need to call again on Monday.
Ideally I'd like mine in about the end of May but will see what Russ has available, I've never used them before but my current mr2 was mapped by him when previous owner had it, and Glen had his mr2 mapped up there, I also know a few other boys have had their cars done there too so quite a good reputation :D
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:
Martin F wrote:
Ryan S wrote:That awesome Martin. Really chuffed for you! :thumleft:

I'll be at Crail over the summer with the bike so let me know if you're there :)

I'm quite chuffed too, it was getting expensive so to have that out of the way is Great :thumleft:

Same old story really! To be honest the only big jobs are fabbing up the downpipe and boost pipes. I could have it done in a night if i got the finger out :( Been too busy with the bikes just now. I'll get there, I'll find a sudden dose of motivation and it'll be on the road before I even realise!

You need to phone your mate with the glanza, get another run out in that should give you the required motivation, life's short my friend, don't miss out on another summer :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Gullzter wrote:That sounds a bit rubbish, true in saying that at least it's done now, is it more of a safety thing for customers?
I dropped him a PM on Facebook yesterday but haven't heard back yet so will need to call again on Monday.
Ideally I'd like mine in about the end of May but will see what Russ has available, I've never used them before but my current mr2 was mapped by him when previous owner had it, and Glen had his mr2 mapped up there, I also know a few other boys have had their cars done there too so quite a good reputation :D

Yeah dude, it's all about safety and avoiding someone suing them....

For the end of may you will need to book now, I heard them speaking to a lad on the phone looking for a cancelation and being told there were two people before him.....

Busy time of the year, probably best going for the 9am slot too, it can get a lot warmer using the afternoon slot... :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Just in from a little road test, air temps were down to 9 degrees so with this set up pretty sure a few more ponies were on tap :pale:

In all seriousness though, Unless I am on a drag strip I will never have any use for the high boost setting, it's friggin' fast, too fast for road use of any description, even running 1.6 bar it is a serious car, I may well find my self driving about at 1.2 bar, that still made good power but I can't remember how much, 360 odd IIRC :-k

At least now it has the power to go with it's looks/stance, wish I was 25 again :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Martin F wrote:
Ryan S wrote:
Martin F wrote:

You need to phone your mate with the glanza, get another run out in that should give you the required motivation, life's short my friend, don't miss out on another summer :thumleft:

You're absolutely right dude! On the same note that's why i just bought a new bike! I will have the mr2 this finished this year even if it means running it in winter :)

Seeing your results has gave me a bit of a kick in the ar$e!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

My dyno sheet was the new 1.9 bar vs the old 1.9 bar however it got a bit wet on my way from the reception to the car, by the time I got home it was a bit smudged, I have requested dyno print outs for wastegate pressure, 1.6, 1.7 and 1.9 bar just to save.

Here is one printout at 1.8 bar. There was no cold air going to the side intake and Russell said that these rollers were brand new last November and are giving different results to the old dyno, ie. he is pretty adamant 350 whp is easily 420 or even 430 fwhp in the real world.

for example, a new audi s3 was 199 at the wheels, the mule was a tad under 390 at the rear wheels, so as you can imagine is a lot of fun as a road car.

This mainline dyno just works on wheel horsepower.

I could have asked russ to keep trying for the 400 whp but not sure if it could have been achieved or would have been worth the risks, drives fantastic on the road though so i'm happy with the outcome.

I may try and find a dyno dynamics dyno just to get a comparison fly wheel figure some day :-k

Torque was 380 lb/ft At the wheels on the old map at 1.95 bar, showing 340 LB/Ft At the wheels at 1.8 bar on latest dyno session, guess there is slight room for a bit more with higher boost :-k
Last edited by Martin F on Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Afr looks mint ... good stuff buddy :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

2mad wrote:Afr looks mint ... good stuff buddy :thumleft:

Think it's about right for these cars :-k

I managed to source the paint for fixing the door and touching up other bits.

I had to go to the original suppliers though, cost me £110 for 5 tins of paint, one tin of lacquer and one tin of white base coat.

Anyway, that cost alone will be worth fixing the rust at the bottom/inside of the drivers door 8)

Should I use a primer under the white basecoat or will that suffice, been nearly 7 years since I sprayed a car or even panels :oops:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin F wrote:
2mad wrote:Afr looks mint ... good stuff buddy :thumleft:

Think it's about right for these cars :-k

11.5 to 11.8 afr's pretty good, richening up top end was my map .. id did use water/meth too but theres a hole new can of worms lol

Id be happy :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Also Got another dumpvalve, it is open just now as I bought a generic adapter and have to drill two bolt holes, thanks for the valve Rob, hope it sounds nice... :thumleft:

I was also considering leaving it without a valve for a while as that also sounds awesome.

I nearly bought a new forge valve as well, my heads up my :-#

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

HaHa, Everything I touch recently goes wrong ](*,)

I bought an adapter to make the apex dump valve fit, in drilling the two holes the clamp I used twisted the aluminium flange, I can no longer thread the pipe ](*,)

I then spend over £108 on the paint to discover the 5 tins of pearl are actually a clear base that is useless unless it is sprayed over a white basecoat (which I only bought one tin off) #-o

WTF !!! [-(

Oh well, pics of the drivers door repair to follow :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Pearl is a very tricky business man :(
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:Pearl is a very tricky business man :(

Lucky I don't have much to do then :wink:

Bottom of drivers door, couple small touch ups, boot lid and I am thinking of doing all the silver including the clamps under the engine lid pearl white, think it will look quite nice, more stuff to keep clean though :cry:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ok,

Last Gauge turned up, fitted it in place of the water temp gauge and moved that one next to the turbo timer.

Too much ? :-k
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin F wrote:

Naa looks sweet to me :mrgreen:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Martin F wrote:

No that looks the nuts Martin :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

No recent updates of late as performance wise the car is how I like it and doesn't require any more work :mrgreen:

I spent £200 odd on paint recently, main reason was the drivers door kept leaving rust stains on the sideskirts, the rear boot had damage that looks like someone worked on the car and used it to rest their tools #-o

Also the engine lid had small dents in it where someone removed it and rested it on tarmac etc... I may have been guilty of this myself also but I didn't realise how fragile it was....

So today I decided to get stuck into the door, I bought lots of sandpaper and an electric sander. While getting stuck into this I found the damage to be worse than I anticipated and half way through I decided the door couldn't to be saved.
When I bought the mule Phil did make me aware of the drivers door so I kept both doors from my other white mr2, on inspecting them today I found both to be pretty much immaculate so have stripped down the drivers door. Just need to clean it and sand it so the paint sticks, lets hope me paying top dollar for the paint is going to allow a good match, if it doesn't I will pay for professionals to sort it out... [-(
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

So, pics of damaged door, pretty amazed considering it got a respray in 2011 and the car is mostly off the road every winter :shock:

The black marks on this is where the rust has basically eaten it's way right through the metal...

new door, everything removed, just needs a wipe down and some fine sanding for the paint to stick, wish me luck ...

The passenger door is fine as is the rest of the car, pretty much no rust anywhere, just this door, I wonder if it was even the original door prior to the original respray, more to the point with this level of damage now it had to be there in some form for the original spray... ](*,)

Ohh, and with temps dropping lately I replaced the thermostat, so far it looks like everything is back to how it should be :mrgreen:

Return to “Member Profiles”