Mr2s first drag session, Updated with video.

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Mr2s first drag session, Updated with video.

Post by Ryan S »

Oh just to add, Calum was crossing the line at 106mph, he was catching me in 3rd then just pipping me at the finish in 4th. Was great fun, i'm thinking of going again on Sunday, it's the last event of the year.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Your slip shows 3 times and terminals all within a milli fraction of each other, doesn't suggest to me there is anything wrong with the gear for your own runs to be fair.

The other mr2s were still probably pulling out high terminals. Probably doesn't help it's cold for tyres, they probably had worse 0-60ft times than you.

Unless you drastically change something for your next go your not going to better the time by anymore than a 10th or 2 IMO given you pulled 3 identical runs at 13.85-14

Believe it or not you can get a faster time with a 'slower' terminal speed if you launch right (keeping everything the same).

Only way to go quicker 'and' increase terminal speed is to increase power.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Oh no absolutely man, i reckon my own times were actually about right, my point being that Crail Raceway is a total pit of a place so all statistics should be taken lightly. I'm in no way chasing times etc, it's just a bit of fun with friends for me, if i cared about winning or times i'd take my bike 👍
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

How are you guys launching the cars?

I ask because mine is my daily and I would rather not break anything.

It was first time on the strip also on my last trip there so wasnt really sure how to launch the car properly...I was just holding it at 6000, engaging the clutch as fast as possible (this is where my worry lies) then feather the throttle until the wheels caught grip and went flat out to the end markers.

Is there a gentle way to launch the car and still be fast off the line? because personally doing what I did last time was too aggressive I felt and spinning the wheels seems useless.
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I launch pretty much the same way mate, however, there is a way to launch much faster by slipping the clutch slightly during the launch, Did it in my old rev2 a few times and it works very well, I wasn't keen to try it this car though as I'd experienced a bit of slip going down the strip :(
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Without knowing your 0-60foot time, we don't know whether it was good or bad to be honest.

There is a fine line between spinning and bogging down off the line.
Only practice on your own car will tell you where it is due to differing suspension, wheel widths and tyres.

I was getting slip on my hard launches and down the track on the odd run, so had to go lightly off the line and best I managed on the day was like 2.1 to 60 foot time like sheppys. Didn't pull my best 1/4 mile time off that though, though was close.

His and my launch look very different on the videos, but both got to 60ft in a pretty similar time.
For reference my best run I made a 13.4 at 106.5mph, but was with a slower 2.21 to 60ft time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxdaPCokcZc

This is why I say more power is needed if you want get near a high 12, as it took me less time to get to a higher speed (I'm making 300hp).

With a 60ft time of 1.9-2.0, I would have dipped into the 12s.

(Every 0.1 off your 60ft is ment to equal 0.2sec quicker down the 1/4 aparently).
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

there's no way I was making 300Bhp on the day so that's good to know your best time and power, As I said i was running just shy of 1 bar as i hadn't set up the boost controller, it reverted to it's stock settings after being in the bodyshop with a flat battery for months. I reckon at 17-18psi (so anywhere between 20-40hp increase over 14psi) I could just get into the 12s. would deffo require wider tyres though, the way my rev2 used to launch was insane. I reckon it was about 0-60mph in 5secs, maybe less. The grip was amazing :shock:

also, this was the car I believe was 400bhp, can anyone confirm??

http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/showdrag. ... 2014-10-26

and the 550bhp car, which I didn't know until right now is Larry93 on here!!

less than half a second between this and GeorgeLs TOTB winning time.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sheppy wrote:there's no way I was making 300Bhp on the day so that's good to know your best time and power, As I said i was running just shy of 1 bar as i hadn't set up the boost controller, it reverted to it's stock settings after being in the bodyshop with a flat battery for months. I reckon at 17-18psi (so anywhere between 20-40hp increase over 14psi) I could just get into the 12s. would deffo require wider tyres though, the way my rev2 used to launch was insane. I reckon it was about 0-60mph in 5secs, maybe less. The grip was amazing :shock:

also, this was the car I believe was 400bhp, can anyone confirm??

and the 550bhp car, which I didn't know until right now is Larry93 on here!!

less than half a second between this and GeorgeLs TOTB winning time.

the first guy, see even with 400hp its a struggle to get it all right to dip into the 12s, let alone with 300hp! he needs to work on launches which im sure he knows.
is it 400hp? maybe.

the 2nd guy, you can see it showing much better launches and in turn more consistent better times.
shame there no 60ft info for his 11.8!

bare in mind those 2 links you mention 150hp difference, but we are ONLY talking about 1 second difference down the 1/4!!! ONE second.

so making up a second is no mean feat!

best in my old car, 12.88 at 116mph with poor launches (2.3 60ft).
my terminal speeds on that are pretty decent compared to those links!

i finally sorted my launches on my old car but then had gear change issues! i had it down to 1.9-2.0 60ft. would have been knocking on the door to a 12 flat for sure.

i have the tyres with my current car, just need a clutch that will take the abuse!
mind you, im likely to consider a slight turbo upgrade in next 6months too.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

btw, having links like that is quality!
wish santa pod did something similar.

i have to photograph my slips as i lose them!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

yeah this is my point about the gear, I don't think the 60ft times are correct, and the 12.02 run I seen looked a damn sight faster than 12.02.

i can't confirm the power of the cars Jim, it was merely talk amongst the guys who were there. Rumours were 400 and 550bhp Mr2s, they arrived on trailers and to be honest they were the most bonkers things there, i completely believe that the higher powered one (whatever BHP it was running) was capable of low 11s if not 10s. but the timing gear kept putting up much slower looking times. I was gobsmacked when 12.02 showed up, his 60ft time on that run must have been much better than 2.xx.

All good fun though regardless of times, I'm gonna go for a turbo and ECU upgrade soon and fit my chargecooler :thumleft: I'd like a reliable 350-400bhp (obviously with supporting mods)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

the 60fts in those links are consistent with the cars/drivers.
so theres surely no reason to doubt them.

yours are consistent too.

you say looked faster, but perhaps thats what a 400-550hp mr2 looks like. how would you know any different unless you see lots of mr2s running 10s all day, lol?

my point being, just because we are talking about only 1 second, 1 second on a drag strip is a lifetime. "only" pulling a 12.02 is not slow!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:the 60fts in those links are consistent with the cars/drivers.
so theres surely no reason to doubt them.

yours are consistent too.

you say looked faster, but perhaps thats what a 400-550hp mr2 looks like. how would you know any different unless you see lots of mr2s running 10s all day, lol?

my point being, just because we are talking about only 1 second, 1 second on a drag strip is a lifetime. "only" pulling a 12.02 is not slow!

I suppose :-k I just thought it'd be faster than a 12 second run for what seemed to be a really capable car, the thing was off like a rocket!!! also, I firmly believe I could get my own car into the 12s without a great deal of trouble, tyres,boost etc as I said, so to see a car with more than 200bhp more than my own car I'd expect it to be running 11s without any problem at all :-k

EDIT: for what WAS a capable car, not "seemed" capable.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

only cars that run 11s all day long are the new GTR's, where there is launch control, grip and flappy shifting, lol

getting a mr2 to run consistent 11s is a hell of a task unless it has monster hp.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:only cars that run 11s all day long are the new GTR's, where there is launch control, grip and flappy shifting, lol

getting a mr2 to run consistent 11s is a hell of a task unless it has monster hp.

yeah the thing did though!! Although I suppose we don't know exactly how much :)
larry93

Post by larry93 »

let you know garys car never got a power run but reckon it is 400ish
mines is 451 at wheels
the strip at crail is crap tarmac is old and no grip for launching and has more potholes on it than a teenagers face.
when at the pod oj wd do 11s all day but thats a real drag strip only way to get into 10s wd be race fuel extra 60 hp
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

larry93 wrote:let you know garys car never got a power run but reckon it is 400ish
mines is 451 at wheels
the strip at crail is crap tarmac is old and no grip for launching and has more potholes on it than a teenagers face.
when at the pod oj wd do 11s all day but thats a real drag strip only way to get into 10s wd be race fuel extra 60 hp

Yasss, so glad you could shed some light on this man, yeah this is the point i'm trying to make, Crail is a rubbish :) I never realised it was you until I seen the name on the crail site today mate, i wanted to come have a look at your car but you guys were away by the time I'd stopped p1$$ing about on the strip. It's super slippy att he start line eh?

also, I thought you were done with Mr2s??
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Rev 3
CT20b hybrid
16psi due to heatsoak (17.5 on the road)
ST205cc
Fidanza flywheel
225 proxies T1R

For ages my best was 12.94 at 111mph. 1.9sec 60ft

Japshow in October

Same as above but rebuilt with Wossner 8.0-1, Toda Flywheel and 225 AD08's.

12.71 at I think with 111mph I'll have to look. Only 2.0 60ft as well.

Got another two 12.9s and two 13.0's.

Having the car remaped next year so will be running more power. Well I hope lol but for a basic tune you can't complain.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nice!!! Even more confident I could get in the 12s now, :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Adam86 wrote:

12.71 at I think with 111mph I'll have to look. Only 2.0 60ft as well.

Got another two 12.9s and two 13.0's.

Having the car remaped next year so will be running more power. Well I hope lol but for a basic tune you can't complain.

nice time! it really is all in the launch.
must be over 320hp for terminals up there?

111mph are the same as what that guy in the first link was posting.

i dont disagree that the pod is better as a location, but if your pulling 1.9 60ft times at crail, then i cant see times/terminals being ANY different to santa pod assuming you got the grip.
1.9 60ft at crail or santa pod, same setup, the times/terminals are going to be the same not magically quicker (just a more hair raising ride at crail going by comments).
larry93

Post by larry93 »

there is absolutely no grip at crail just tarmac and concrete to fill the holes at start ive actually worked there no the strip well.
whilst santapod start as you know is total grip so launch is a lot better.
all the big cars up here can take a second off there crail time at the pod and after being on pod i know this is the case.

Return to “Driving Experiences”