[Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by Magic Beans »

ads wrote:less drag and lift from bulkhead
From what I've read the approach of angling the rad and using a vented Border front bumper is the optimum approach. That and proper flat underbody panels, like the EMS offerings they made a while back.

If I ever had another MR2 I'd focus solely on function first and then work styling around it, if at all possible.
andylaurence

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by andylaurence »

Venting into the front wheel wells? Radiator efficiency depends on airflow, which is characterised by a pressure difference. As a result, greater cooling is achieved by venting the air to a lower pressure area and taking it from a high pressure area. The bumper is a high pressure area, especially with a splitter fitted, but the wheel wells are not traditionally high pressure areas. In fact, if you look at many race cars, they have vents on the top of the wheel arches to bleed the high pressure air from inside the wheel arch. A traditionally low pressure area is the bonnet, which is generally convex. I'd wager you'll get better cooling, lower drag and less lift if you vent the air out through the bonnet.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Magic Beans wrote:If I ever had another MR2 I'd focus solely on function first and then work styling around it, if at all possible.

Funnily enough, I now do and this is my plan. Watch this space..

And this space too: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... start=2520
johnsonca9

Post by johnsonca9 »

I once had a Suzuki Cappuccino (I know, don't judge!!!)

Because it was a Kei car, I managed to get 1 sheet of polypropylene that was just big enough to go from 5 inches in front of the bumper, to the start of the rear diffuser.

That was the ultimate flat floor, although it was an absolute pig, as anytime I wanted to work on it, I had to jack it so it was on its wheel but on blocks, unbolt all the nuts, then lower it down, let the poly sit on the floor and drive off it. As it extended wider than the wheels, there was no other way to slide it out.

What I will say, is that even though it did 100mph at best, you really felt the difference in grip! Changed my perspective entirely on how you can really make a difference for not a lot of work!

Return to “Modifications”