[Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by Magic Beans »

Right, thanks. :)

So undertrays must offer some benefit then, as they help maintain that isolation by keeping the arch in place. :-k

I'd like to better understand what effects the various entry points on the bumper have and whether there's scope for improvement by channeling air internally, instead of air just rushing in and going where it wants?
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by bobhatton »

Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I have indeed. Answers some questions but creates many more.

Looks like I've got some experimenting to do.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Well from reading all that......

A GT40 inspired bonnet vent, flat undertray at the front to the back of the tyres, rear diffuser and BGW would give fantastic downforce.

I would probably leave the rev 3 spoiler I have on though as the thought of a BGW makes me sick lol

Id also custom a full flat undertray/rear diffuser as one piece, pending confirmation it would increase downforce.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

hmltnangel wrote:Well from reading all that......

A GT40 inspired bonnet vent, flat undertray at the front to the back of the tyres, rear diffuser and BGW would give fantastic downforce.

I would probably leave the rev 3 spoiler I have on though as the thought of a BGW makes me sick lol

Id also custom a full flat undertray/rear diffuser as one piece, pending confirmation it would increase downforce.

That is what I would do too.
The undertray would also cover over the base of the engine as much as I could
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
synXero

Post by synXero »

Flat undertray would be awesome on an MR2. But aren't they supposed to draw air in from underneath...?
HurleyRacing

Post by HurleyRacing »

This was our original splitter/flat floor/undertray on our race car,

We know have a bigger one that extends further :)

It's bolted from the underneath, and stretches back to the back of the front wheels. Probably not a suitable solution for a road car i would imagine but you get the idea. It's strong enough to stand on.

It creates front down force and works as an air dam, creating pressure so that air flows through the radiator. the radiator has a duct that directs the radiator air out underneath the car which will flow into our rear diffuser.

-Race Car Preperation -Engine Rebuilds
www.hurleyraceengineering.co.uk
[email protected]
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

synXero wrote:Flat undertray would be awesome on an MR2. But aren't they supposed to draw air in from underneath...?

Well I would suspect that a TOMS airscoop would be invaluable here as it would provide the air forced into the engine bay along with the scoops on the side forcing more air in, then the air would vent through the louvres an top into the low pressure area behind teh window. In addition I think that the rogue fan kit would help circulate air in the engine bay.

need to run it through the model and see what it reckons.

hmmmm
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

hmltnangel wrote:
synXero wrote:Flat undertray would be awesome on an MR2. But aren't they supposed to draw air in from underneath...?

Well I would suspect that a TOMS airscoop would be invaluable here as it would provide the air forced into the engine bay along with the scoops on the side forcing more air in, then the air would vent through the louvres an top into the low pressure area behind teh window. In addition I think that the rogue fan kit would help circulate air in the engine bay.

need to run it through the model and see what it reckons.

hmmmm

No air is needed in the engine bay, the engine is water cooled.
The TOMS is for engine inlet air only not for engine bay cooling as the flow would be the wrong way.
Any air that comes in the side inlets would be enough to cool anything that may need cooling, nothing needs to come up from the bottom of the engine bay
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

bobhatton wrote:
The TOMS is for engine inlet air only not for engine bay cooling as the flow would be the wrong way.
Any air that comes in the side inlets would be enough to cool anything that may need cooling, nothing needs to come up from the bottom of the engine bay

Thats why I always wondered why people had Scoops on both sides - it serves no purpose for engine intake air.

Well if thats the theory I might do this once I have some cash after my holidays.

Will need to stick it into the model to see if the TOMS scoop has an adverse effect on anything?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's a shame EMS no longer offer the flat underbody panels they used to produce. The only option now is having something custom made :-k
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

hmltnangel wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

Thats why I always wondered why people had Scoops on both sides - it serves no purpose for engine intake air.

Well if thats the theory I might do this once I have some cash after my holidays.

Will need to stick it into the model to see if the TOMS scoop has an adverse effect on anything?

The engine side vents are for intake air feed on one side (direct to the standard airbox), and to the cooling fan with cowling on the other. I was not under ht impression that they provided (from the standard design of the body), meaningful engine bay cooling. That is from underneath the the engine bay, and signified by the slightly up-turned plastic undertray under the fuel tank area.

My opinion on the TOM's scoop (when not used with its specific airbox) is that it will not help, and may even hinder cooling, as it just introduces another airflow path directly into any airflow coming from the side vent. Since cooling is about improving airflow through the engine bay, this turbulence isn't helping anything..

The effectiveness of a complete flat floor is not optimised without a huge rear diffuser, front splitter (practicalities on a road car?) plus ride height alternations. I suppose you can do it for the hell of it, or if its a competition car with many other aspects of the vehicle focused on track performance, but otherwise I'd rather not risk engine heat build up and reliablity for the sake of a changes of unproven benefit, and limited effectiveness on the road and lower speed tracks.

As an example, the VX220 / Elise has a flat undertray (with naca ducts underneath the engine bay for ventilation) and requires a large diffuser and front splitter to achieve any meaningful reduction in lift, and then its only effective at speeds of +70-80mph. It also make it a bit more of a PITA to access the underside of the engine / gearbox.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

You could always buy one of these and measure the downforce of each modification accordingly... That way you know if its having any positive effect or not

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-ARC-Downf ... 35c42a26db

I know how you like your gadgets :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

KarlBristol wrote:You could always buy one of these and measure the downforce of each modification accordingly... That way you know if its having any positive effect or not

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-ARC-Downf ... 35c42a26db

I know how you like your gadgets :thumleft:

:shock: Aside from I think that looks completely useless, from a quick Google, it looks like it measures load compression or tension loads on a wing or bootlid, therefore won't work on the front (unless hooked up to perhaps a tension rod on a splitter, even that that doesn't mean much), and cannot measure the downforce or lift reduction created by a flat floor. Only measurement I can imagine being of use in trying to assess downforce is measurement of suspension load or perhaps tyre pressure, both of which are highly variable.

Japanese tuning companies produce some very good, high quality components, but this looks like one of their most snake-oil-ish I've seen..
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Most people fit the double 'scoops' on the roof for the looks/style. Each to their own and all.

I personally think it's xxxx, but people still visit Spain, too.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

New tyres fitted, along with the original arch liners. There's now large gaps between the liner and the bodywork, so it looks like fabbing something custom is the way forward.

Is aluminum sheeting the best thing to use and if so what thickness should I be using? I also plan to make a custom front undertray at the same time, so I'm not sure if the same thickness sheeting can be used for both applications? :-k
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Hmm , what utter bull$h1t the engine needs no air flow , has anyone heard of radiant heat soak ?

Toyota spent £££££££££ designing the car to draw air from underneath and push it out the top if his wasn't needed , why did they do it,

It fookin amazes me what you read on these forums Sometimes

Obviously no one is thinking about engine longevity when you run your engine in a metal box with no or little air low,,

Toyota put that fan on the ge's just for giggles , or the fact most of us upgrade the smic because its too cool no because it heat soaked with engine bay with higher charge temps and radiant heat !!!
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

3sGE I cant offer any meaningful words but on a 3sGTE with SMIC then the side ducts/fan do exactly what they should - one cools the intake air and provides a fresh clear feed to the induction/turbo, the other flows through the SMIC to remove the heat from the charge air. Once it passes through the SMIC, effectively the air flowing over the engine from that point .... would be hot.

What I was considering doing is to move my Air Filter into the TOMS scoop and mount it so that its sealed inside there, only allowing the cold fresh air to get in. Then put a shroud and fan on each side vent to draw cold air in. Couple thsi with a Chargecooler and I wouldnt expect engine temps would suffer at all
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

The toms scoop is designed to be used the the toms air box which it feeds into, this would be the only practical way,

Apart from that toms scoops are the work of the devil,,

If I remember right there was a test done with the engine bay fan kit, the results where positive in all areas
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Does anyone know what kind of thickness of aluminium sheet I'd need to use for the front undertray? Or if there's a better material to use?

Metal would be good as I'd like to incorporate speed flaps into the single sheet.

Return to “Modifications”