Speedo & mileage not working MR2 MK2 GTi(K reg 93 UK spec i think)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grazzy

Speedo & mileage not working MR2 MK2 GTi(K reg 93 UK spec i think)

Post by Grazzy »

Good afternoon All,

The other morning I drove to work in my MR2 the speedo & milage were working fine. Parked my car to to do my work rip, then came out 9 hours later started my car & there was not response from the speedo, after driving a bit down the A500 I noticed that my car was not gaining any miles.

I have had a bit of a look on the internet to find out what could be causing my problem. Followed some instructions that i have found on here & other places. The simple tests i have tried was:-

Giving the dash board a good wack in a few different places, which has no effect.

I have seen a picture of a 3 pin connector that connects the sensor to the gearbox, but i can't seem to find this. Looking down from the top of the engine bay. Now i think its down the passenger side of the engine bay by the drop link. found a connector down there give that a wiggle but that also had no effect :(

Now i have also been reading that sometime the cable behind the dails is at fault, With mine been a uk spec do they have kph to mph convertor.

Also done a full fuse check there all good? any advice on what i should do next. The car is stock other than:-

HID H1 lights in the front Splitter (dont work since the H4s were fitted)
HID H4s dipped/full beams (when on the indicator on the dsh does not lights/fullbeam)
K & N 57i induction kit.

Car has a full service history last thing what was changed on the car was the clutch at 127,000. This is the reason why i have been trying to find this cable in the engine bay, because i think its just fallen off or come loose.
GreddyMR2

Re: Speedo & mileage not working MR2 MK2 GTi(K reg 93 UK spec i think)

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Maybe speedo sensor broke? Try to take it out of gearbox and have a look.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

I know this pic is for the cable sensor, woiuld the electronic version be in the same place:-

h**p://www.stephenmason.com/pics/mr2_cableclip.jpg

also trying to work has this pic been taking from the under side of the car by the back box?

I think is come loss on at the cable connector.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Check your earths. I had a dodgy earth following a clutch change and the first symptom was the speedo and odo running at about 10% normal speed.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

OK got a few things to try, thanks for the input.

Looks like the ramps will be coming out tonight. did you find out which earth it point it was?

Going to try all of the recommend ill post back with my findings
Marf

Post by Marf »

Grazzy wrote:

Looks like the ramps will be coming out tonight. did you find out which earth it point it was?

Starter->Gearbox I believe

Don't quote me on that though, I'd had 2 hrs sleep when it died having spent 17hours at the garage watching them change my clutch. So when I called out the RAC I didnt pay much attention to what he did, I just wanted it fixed :lol:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

I just hope its a bad earth or loose connection. speaking about earth's I added 2 more earth items when i installed my HID blasts I check these also. Also Ill check on the stanard headlamp wiring incase this is causing any issues, Well ill put the stock ones back in to test.

Does anyone know if there is any earth cables that may/would have been connected to any of the standard airbox mounts. I did not notice any when I was swapping this over to my K&N. Fault did appear 3 days after this been installed.

On the day this happened, also was the first time we had some heavy rain (after the HID kits & induction kit)
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

was rained off lastnight. Looking like a better day, hope it holds out till later. I also noticed that my JVC unit was been flakey today on the drive in. Like the screen losing power but this still playing. within the last 4 weeks of owning this car seen this happen more than once.

I was thinking this was because of the t-bar roof with the sunscreens missing may causing an over heat. because getting into the car with these missing on a sunny day was like climing into the fires of mordor. I found parking in direct sunlight will make this happen.

replacements sun screens turned up yesterday. life is much much better on that front.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

OK Had the head unit out, seemed like it was a flakey installing, rear speaker werent wired & low and behold the standard OEM loom before the adpoter was connected there was a black wire what looked to have been cut. Just reconnected this and replaced the head unit. My LG one did not need the cable convertor so this has been removed. head unit is working fine.

&

quick blast up the road no just speedo still not working. looked at the standard wiring going to the dails behind the dash, these still look like the standard ones. Looks like im going to be pulling the dails out tonight see if anything has gone behind there :(
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The gearbox speedo sensor is nowhere near the droplink. It's nearer the rear engine mount.

See here (this is a turbo gearbox but they're in similar locations) http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ght=speedo
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

[quote="toxo"]The gearbox speedo sensor is nowhere near the droplink. It's nearer the rear engine mount.

That pic is a good one, really know what aera im looking for. finish work in the next 30mins so i can have a look again :)
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Ok checked the cable seems to be fine, cleaned it up appeared to be ok. Guessing its the bit behind the dial, getting the dash board out etc probs going to take a while, anyone know what the replacement part i would require? thinking i going to replace that anyway. whistle i'm there.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The thing in the gearbox has a little plastic cog on the end of it which loses some teeth sometimes, which will stop your speedo working.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

speaking with my dad, He really thinks this is something at the transmission end. Well he is looking at it for me today. He also thinks its either the cable or the sensor.

He said its boggling him a little. He has disconnect the speedo cable from the sensor & taken the car for a spin, He feels that the car should have turned an engine management light or something on the dash, but none lite. I know all the ligts in the dash are working because when i was checking the fuses got them to light up at some point.

He feels i should replace the sensor & replace some of the cable, He said the out cable proctector has a crack in it but the inner wires are fine.

im ready to spend some money, just still unsure to whats causing the problem. everyone seems to be pointing at the sensor. time to track one of these down and get it ordered.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If the fault is transmission end then you should remove the sensor and check the plastic gear on the end.

All your dash lights (including engine warning) should light up when you first click the ignition round to ACC before starting the car. I think you do get an engine warning light when the speedo sensor isn't reporting speed back to the ECU. If your engine warning light system is working properly, then perhaps the fault lies in the instrument cluster. I'd still be checking the sensor first as it is a common fault.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

If you scroll through this thread :

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ight=drill

There's a check described by Skywalker that might (or might not lol) help?
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Just spoken with a chap on ebay, said he has a working sensor for my car, sorted me a wicked price. going to buy that and test the new one my current cable. The guy even said if this was not the problem send it him back & he will send me the other part it may be :D
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

GreddyMR2 wrote:Maybe speedo sensor broke? Try to take it out of gearbox and have a look.

Took the sensor out tonight, the wheel on the end was pretty much nothing left of it. when rolling the sensor was making a clicking noise.

replaced sensor speedo & mileage is now working thanks for all of the input :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

On another note. My speedo broke a while back the odometer was no longer clocking up at all. I checked everything turned out it was the actual clocks that were broken. I replaced them and the new one works fine. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”