Mk1 3S-GTE (GT3076R forged build)

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lee H

Mk1 3S-GTE (GT3076R forged build)

Post by Lee H »

Bought this mk1.5 in July last year intended just to use it and not spend too much on it but as always these things spiral out of control.

As I bought it

Car had really tatty arches but seemed ok for its age otherwise.

Brief spec

Rev 2 lump with rev 3 conversion
Apexi Power FC
XS Power downpipe
Apexi AVCR
ST185 chargecooler
Koni suspesion
Mk2 turbo rear brakes
WMS 4 pot front brakes
Polybushed
16" Superleggaras

Decided to swap the minging blue interior for black

Ran it at York Dragway and managed 13.4 1/4 mile at 100mph with 2.0 60ft. Decided to make it a bit better and try and get in the 12's.

Bought another mk1.5 for a few parts and took the smaller 15" wheels and LSD box off it. (picture after I'd removed the wheels I wanted) Sold the car onto Steve Horrocks then.

Fitted wheels to my car and painted roof black.

Then decided it was time to try and repair the rusty arches. Never tackled bodywork before so decided to have a crack.

At this point I bottled it and drove the car over to Buxton to Gary (mk1 dal) for him to fit the arches and paint.

Corner he made for drivers side.

Had the car back from new arches a week and blew it up. Out on the tops and the boost hit 1.3 bar (only mapped to 1.1 bar) resulting in high knock readings and coolant boiling over. Obviously the weak rev 2 head gasket.

Stripped it down and found a split vacuum to the actuator which will have caused the high boost! Have decided to fit a rev 3 metal head gasket this time and cracked on removing the head.

Also fitted a new water injection pump and now intake temps sit at around 28 degrees on boost which is great.

Had the car running 1.1 bar and went to York first weekend after fixing it. Managed one run of 13.6 @ 105mph but a poor 60 ft so think there is a definite improvement on my pb of 13.4 @ 100 in there. Sadly the day got called off due to an accident so didn't manage any more runs.

Car was used for the 50 mile daily commute for a few weeks although costing me £15 a day in fuel!!

Picked this up for it as intend taking it on track soon and it is a little flimsy being a T bar. Safety Devices 7 point cage for a bargain price of £250 given the rarity and the £800 new price tag.

Fitted rear half of cage. Front needs a fair bit of work and not got round to it yet.

Took it to York drag racing again but it was a damp day, managed a 13.6 @ 105mph with a crap 2.2 60ft time so with more grip I should have beaten my previous best. Kept going a bit sideways off the line and then fishtailing a bit in 2nd gear so had to lift slightly. Managed to come 3rd in my class though and didn't lose a head to head all day.

Developed a misfire on the last run on high boost but luckily managed to make it home. Seems to have fixed itself as well.

Decided I'm going for more power though so took the tank off to fit a Walbro 255 pump. Not a nice job on your own. Luckily had Steve here today to help me to refit it.

Also MOT due next week so thought I'd better start patching up the rust holes in the A pillars. Needs filling and painting yet but weather has been against me today. Cheers for the welding Mr Horrocks and all your help on this car over the last year.

Next step is a bigger turbo and over 300bhp hopefully.
Last edited by Lee H on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lee H

Re: Mk1 3S-GTE (GT3076R forged build)

Post by Lee H »

Please can a mod move this to the projects section :oops:
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

There you go, nice car, proper weapon! I'd love a turbo MK1...
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

No worries Roy!! It's a handy way of modifying cars & it doesn't cost me a penny, lol!

Should be a good weapon when we man you up to drive it properly!!

Shame those photos from today don't show how bleeding freezing & damp it was, I'm aching like hell now!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Steve Horrocks wrote:No worries Roy!! It's a handy way of modifying cars & it doesn't cost me a penny, lol!

Should be a good weapon when we man you up to drive it properly!!

Shame those photos from today don't show how bleeding freezing & damp it was, I'm aching like hell now!

Car certainly seems to be costing me a few pennies recently.

I know I need to start driving it a bit harder on corners, will get plenty of practice on Buckstones Road when I start my new job..........

Winter has definitely set in now, its so windy up here now, was bloody cold out there today.
craig

Post by craig »

Excellent project, nice write up. Best of luck with the car. I too would love a turbo MK1 :twisted:
CecilWard

Post by CecilWard »

Awesome car, fantastic writeup. Very grateful for this.

Many thanks Lee and keep up the good work. :D
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Looks an awesome car with alot of time spent on it :thumleft:
Site updated 14/04/2012
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Had the car remapped and only making a disappointing 260bhp and 218bhp at the wheels. Car feels much faster but I want more.

So bought a rev 3 lump at weekend as I know the head and cams are much better so should see me near a "real" 300bhp.

Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Engine has now been stripped for new pistons and a rebuild.

Got this to fit as well, GT3071R.

Mocked it up on the engine and no chance of wastegate fitting in that position in the smaller mk1 bay.

Had a rethink and decided to fit wastegate here and have sent the downpipe off to have the old take off cut off and welded up.

Standard heatshield also fits as well.

mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Awesome project. Fair play for trying things out yourself. :thumleft:
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Stripped the engine a couple of weekends ago and was a little disappointed to find a score down one of the bores. Can feel it with my nail but not sure if it warrents a rebore or not. Picture below.

Also the bores are a funny colour in places.

Then moved on to looking at the crank and big ends. Crank looks ok but the big ends have some really funny marks on the upper bearing of each rod. Have since been advised this is normal.

Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Decided to reseat the valves while the head was off. Always a fun job and just the way I wanted to spend my Friday night.

Then today went and stripped the rest of the engine and removed the crank. Mains were in good condition.

And all in the boot of the mk1 ready to go to the engine place (was an only just fit).

Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Update finally.

Done a bit of measuring and found out the turbo is actually a GT3076 rather than a GT3071. Going to fit it and have a little more power.

Picked up my engine block from being decked and honed and also the crank has been polished. Piston rings have been gapped and now just waiting for ARP rod bolts, mains, head studs to begin assembly.

Block will be getting a lick of paint tomorrow as it looks dreadful.

Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Painted engine block and refitted oil sprayers.

Then decided to fit the front half of the roll cage as its been sat around in the way. Just left the bar out that runs from the back to the passenger footwell as that would be overkill. Can still just about remove the T bar roof as well.

Unsure whether to also pad the A pillar bars.
craig

Post by craig »

Love it, fantastic read. Following this thread as it develops :clap:
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

More parts arrived.

ARP mains fitted.

Crank refitted.

Then it went dark. Have fitted the ARP's on the rods now and the pistons to the rods so hopefully get them chucked in this weekend and the sump refitted.
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Engine now pretty much built and turbo trial fitted and a few adjustments made.

Wossner forged pistons

Head studs and metal headgasket

Head on

Small turbo with external wastegate and screamer pipe

Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

That's going to be a monster.

So, fancy competing at Ten of the Best XII this year?

If so, please post on this thread so I can get an idea of numbers: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=167982

Thanks,
Noel.
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Still need to get injectors and find someone to map the car but may consider it. Trying to sort out mk2 turbo rear drive flanges as well as the mk1 flanges and ST185 CV's aren't meant to be happy over 300bhp.

Can't see me being very competitive though as can only run on road tyres (currently 195's) as not willing to fit wide arches and R888's etc are too chunky and won't fit on without fouling the arches.

Return to “Project Cars”