The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Evening :)

I've been floating around here for a couple of months or so, so thought it's about time I officially introduce myself and my 2.

I bought this car essentially blind at the end of November, sold with a few know issues. Since then I've been tapping into the wealth of knowledge on here. I've learnt an awful in these past few months, through a combination of relentless reading, along with some invaluable advice from many people on here. Something I've been very grateful for. :D

It got the name "The Mule" as it was (less so now) a stubborn sod, which fought me in whatever I tried to do to it!

The current list of parts (I'm aware of) is as follows. In no particular order:

Bored engine, to take oversized pistons
HKS 87mm forged pistons
HKS full sealed racing piston rings
HKS racing shells
ARP bolts - Head, crank and rods
CT20B hybrid turbo, with steel shaft, race bearings and re-angled blades
HKS turbo actuator
ARC Side mount intercooler with Spal fan
HKS Hi Power exhaust
HKS SSQV dump valve
HKS steel head gasket
HKS Lightened flywheel (1.2 KG)
HKS 3 panel race clutch
Aquamist methanol/water injection
HKS Fuel Cut Defender (FLD)
HKS Speed Limit Defencer (SLD)
HKS turbo timer
EVC 4 boost controller
Walbro 255lph HR race fuel pump
HKS Fuel boost valve/regulator
Polished engine parts
HKS Ram air filter
Samco Hoses
Triple gauge pod inc boost, oil pressure and oil temp gauges
Quick Shifter
Greddy gear knob
Simoni Steering wheel & Momo steering boss
EBC Grooved/Drilled discs on the fronts
Rays Engineering TE37 16" wheels
Custom LED heater controls, using circa 100 LEDs
Pure white LED dome lights
LED courtesy lights
Simoni Racing steering wheel
Custom license plate with "The Mule" slogan
Custom fuse covers, with "The Mule" laser cut
MK3 bonnet emblem
LSC Interiors custom leather door card inserts
Crystal clear headlights with Osram Night Breaker bulbs
Crystal clear sidelights
LED rear license plate lights
Custom speedo cluster, with chrome rings and LEDs

Also an Alpine ICE install, comprising of V12 amps (now just the one), Diamond Audio M5102 subwoofers and more speakers and crossovers than any man should ever need. I'm slowly pulling the non-essential kit out, as to me it's all extra weight ;)

This is the car as it was when I bought it. After it had been stood, left neglected for about 4 years! - http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... ownership/

This is the car now, after a big injection of effort, polishing and TLC - http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... he%20Mule/

Going forward, in terms of interior/exterior work, I'm looking at reupholstering the seats, twin exhaust, replacing the spoiler with a Rev 5, new plates, lighting tweaks etc. Engine wise I'm looking to get it somewhere around the 400bhp mark, however there's no immediate rush to get there as I'd rather use and enjoy it than spend every waking hour meddling. Soon though, soon... ;)

I'll not rattle on too long for now. However suffied to say this is just the start of the journey for me, so any feedback, advice and suggestions are welcomed.

Phil :thumleft:
Last edited by Magic Beans on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Just a small update..

I decided that the new ARC IC needed paint stripping, to get rid of the existing black paint. So spent some time yesterday removing the paint, flushing it all and then air blasting any residue out. Came up pretty good to be honest and should be more efficient now :thumleft:

Before: Image

After: Image
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Black is a better colour to transfer heat :wink: When I spec amps and things that need cooling I always get everything anodised black to help with the cooling.

Does look shiny now though which is always good :thumleft:
Site updated 14/04/2012
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I thought black would have the opposite effect and cause heat absorption, not dissipation? Seeing that most other IC's I've seen are silver or chrome, I thought my logic was sound :( Might be a respray on the cards then ](*,) haha
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

It helps bring warmth out of the device then the outside atmosphere will do the rest. Works on electronics thats why you see most power supplies and amplifiers in black. just guessed that's why they sprayed it?
Site updated 14/04/2012
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I guess the paint itself plays a factor though, making the IC less efficient and potentially holding heat?
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Possibly :-k
Site updated 14/04/2012
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Either way, it should be significantly better than the stock POS :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I finally got around to removing the stock IC, not a job I'll rush to do again!

Mounting bracket sanded and resprayed. Bends and rubbers cleaned and ready to be installed

ARC and stock side by side. The overall sizes are similar, so installation will be just as much fun as removal..
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

IC removed I could again turn my attention to a job which has foxed me for some time - Loosening the AC adjuster pulley bolt, so the belt can be replaced... ](*,)

After several hours spread over several days my former nemesis has fallen, giving in to the power of man, tools and persistence!

Bolt loosened I can finally replace the aircon belt, which I cut off ages ago during the previous battle of Phil vs alternator bolt. Why do people insist on over-tightening everything?!

A small victory but it symbolises that this car might finally be shedding the characteristics it's name suggests
\:D/
Last edited by Magic Beans on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Another update..

After a somewhat epic effort I've finally squeezed the new ARC IC in place. It's piped up and has a nice new Spal puller fan to keep it cool :thumleft: Not a job I'd be in a hurry to repeat though :|

I've also started replacing the interior lighting, starting with a pure white LED dome light pair.

Stock lights

New vs old

New lights. Excuse the poor camera quality (phone :| )

It's a much cleaner light but man are they bright!

Next up is replacing the dash lights :thumleft: :shock:
craig

Post by craig »

Great updates mate :thumleft:

Where did you get those replacement led dome lights? Mine have blown and need replacing.

Cheers bud
:thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thanks. It's good to feel like you're finally getting somewhere with a project. :thumleft:

I got them from a seller on the well-known auction site. Item number 170406574147 The 24 LED versions are really bright and clean. So much so as I'm toying with the idea of pulling the existing bulbs mounts out and recessing them, so they're not so dazzling. The do smaller and larger units too, depending how you feel about your eyes health :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Thanks. It's good to feel like you're finally getting somewhere with a project. :thumleft:

I got them from a seller on the well-known auction site. Item number 170406574147 The 24 LED versions are really bright and clean. So much so as I'm toying with the idea of pulling the existing bulbs mounts out and recessing them, so they're not so dazzling. The do smaller and larger units too, depending how you feel about your eyes health :wink:

Cheers mate, how did you mount them behind the lense? :-k
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Thanks. It's good to feel like you're finally getting somewhere with a project. :thumleft:

Cheers mate, how did you mount them behind the lense? :-k

If you pull off the cover you'll find a thin metal strip/plate on each side. Bend it out slightly, to act as a solid base, then a small drop of super glue on one of the sides of the board, to hold it onto the side of the recess. Conveniently that lines up pretty much exactly in the middle of the recess, so no fettling required. :thumleft:

I'll take some pictures if you want? I'm off home to do a boost leak checking run now anyway, post IC install. No better way to spend your lunchtime ;)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Et voila :thumleft: Image
craig

Post by craig »

Thanks mate I'll get some ordered :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:Thanks mate I'll get some ordered :thumleft:

Enjoy :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:

Thought they were a pair for a tenner delivered, I thought "massive bargain" then realized it was only for one. :lol:

Still gonna order a pair though 8)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:

Thought they were a pair for a tenner delivered, I thought "massive bargain" then realized it was only for one. :lol:

Still gonna order a pair though 8)

I went for my first drive in it post updates and the lights do look the part. The white looks so clean, with a dash of premium :wink:

Save some money for some more LEDs, I have a few other jobs up my sleeve. So watch this space :D

Return to “Member Profiles”